It is delicious, healthy, low fat, high fiber, high protein, easy to make, inexpensive, and plentiful! It's practically a super food. I have been eating leftovers for a solid week now. Talk about bang for your buck! Feeding a family of 4 tonight? No dollar menu can compare. But wait, there's more: Did you know that by draining and rinsing canned goods, you can remove 40% of the sodium? Just when you thought it couldn't get any better.
Yield 8-10, 2 cup servings
2 cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans of Mexicorn
2 cans of Rotel
1, 12 oz. can of tomato paste
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 pound ground turkey (or lean beef)
1 packet of McCormick Taco seasoning mix (no msg in McCormick)
2.5 cups of water
Fat free Sour Cream
2% reduced fat Mexican Blend cheese
Tortilla chips (I love Riceworks)
1. In a large stockpot, brown ground turkey meat on medium heat (desired meat temp: 165 degrees)
2. Turn stove to high heat. Add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Mix until meat is covered.
3. Add all canned ingredients.
4. Add remaining 2 cups of water and stir well. Add additional water to desired consistency. I usually fill mine until the stockpot is about 3/4 of the way full.
5. Bring soup to a boil, let simmer on low heat until ready to serve.
6. Spoon into individual bowls, top with sour cream, cheese and chips. Or put your chips in the bowl first...To each his own.
7. Store up to a week in the refrigerator in sealed containers. Or freeze some to be re-heated later.
Needless to say, I don't eat Domino's anymore! Is there something you ate so often that you don't care if you ever have again?